top of page

Occupation Certificate (OC)

An occupation certificate, issued under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979, allows a person to occupy and use a new building or to commence a new use of an existing building.

An Occupation certificate is issued by a Principal Certifying Authority (PCA), which may

be an accredited Council officer or private certifier.

An occupation certificate verifies that the principal certifying authority (Council or Private Certifier) is satisfied that the building is suitable to occupy or use in terms of the requirements of the Building Code of Australia and relevant Development Consent.

An occupation certificate is required for any new building work, or change of use of a building, that has development consent (DA) or a complying development certificate approval.

Occupation certificates are not required for building works which are carried out as an exempt development.


bottom of page